Powered by Blogger.

Learning to Wait

>> 5.25.2011

Psalm 62, my “go-to” Psalm when I can’t make sense out of the world, says “For God ALONE my soul waits in silence: from Him comes my salvation.  He ONLY is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.”  And then there’s me: and I know I don’t truly believe GOD ALONE is my rock—because I falter and question when the money isn’t there, when jobs are lost, when children don’t behave, when the human body fails, when the weather causes me fright.  No, my “rocks” are other things; worldly things.  And I have to constantly confess that I put my trust in so many other things than Christ.  May He forgive this terrible sin and draw me closer to His side. 

So today, after another human life has been lost, after hundreds have lost homes and family members, when there is literally a swirling storm in just about every state of the country I live in, I have come again to my “go-to” Psalm.  And I recognize God for Who He is; Mighty, Just, Holy, Awesome, Powerful, Alpha and Omega…and I recognize myself for who I am: nothing.   I will be waiting until my final breathe to become something, someone; a holy, complete being living in eternal peace with hundreds of thousands of other souls who have waited to become their most complete being, who have endured many hardships greater than I and have claimed, like me, that “from Him (only) comes my salvation.”  And so we wait…

We wait while we suffer physical illnesses…
We wait while we suffer emotional heartbreak…

We wait while we watch our loved ones suffer…
We wait while we search for jobs…

We wait while our children grow up before us…
We wait in all our human limitations and know that God promises us this:  “But they who WAIT for the Lord will renew their strength; They shall mount up with sings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31(ESV)  God designed us to wait—to wait UPON HIM—for we are so in need of Him…so desperately in need.  He alone IS our salvation!

Will you join me in this journey of waiting?  And not just waiting, as in waiting for the next greatest thing to come along (the grass is definitely greener on the other side, right?) but truly waiting UPON THE LORD. 
2 Corinthians 1:9, 10b “Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death.  But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead…on HIM we have set our HOPE that He will deliver us again.” (ESV)

4 comments:

emily May 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

I'm your first follower! Can't wait for more:)

dc May 25, 2011 at 7:23 PM  

I like it! More please :)

Becky May 25, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

beautifully said, I have to go play While I'm Waiting by John Waller now.

Jennifer May 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

The Lod knew I needed this today. I will be meditating on Psalm 62. Thanks, Kristen!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave me a Message!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP