Powered by Blogger.

Our First Day-- Scavenger hunt WITH DADDY!

>> 8.02.2011

As promised, I want to bring you a little taste of our first day of homeschool for this year.  For those interested, our main curriculum (should I say, "curriculi"? or something to that affect?) this year consists of:

  • Heart of Dakota,(Beyond Little Hearts; a Christ-centered curriculum that combines the ease of "open and go" with Charlotte Mason style bent to it-- if you're familiar with those terms=)
  •  Alphabet Island phonics (a crazy lil' fun curriculum I "happened" upon through Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks site
  • Math Mammoth (Singapore-style mastery approach, no-fuss, PRINTABLE, LOVE IT, math curriculum)
  • And lots of odds and ends with Montessori activities for the little ones
I already showed you a couple pics of the beginnings of an organized school area, so, here are some pics from yesterday.


Wasn't able to have the kids help (we had gotten home the night before at 10:30 from a church swim party!) so I ended up decorating them myself-- with less than I'd thought I had in my pantry=)  Kids LOVED them anyway!


Kids decorated a space of their own with their grade written next to where they are standing.  Our school "name" is still really "under contruction."


"Little Lady" and "Buddy" marking our first location on their maps -- HOME! 


Stop #3, a friends' house close to the church.  They are trying to coax out one of our VERY SOON TO BE new family members...hmmm...any guesses?



A stop around our small town would not be complete without a stop at our ONE park.  After having to run up and slide down all four slides at the park, the kids found a "stage coach" upon which to rest a bit.


The closest library.  (Side note, I made an inside trip today-- it is closed on Mondays -- and I was given the patron number of 0619...hm...does that mean what I think it means???)


After a healthy breakfast, we stopped here for the beginning of lunch: ice cream!  A fun locally owned ice cream shop that if you ever stop by, we'll be sure to treat you to!


(And, of course, if I included a pic of Daddy, I must include a pic of myself.  I thought this one was a better choice than the one of ME eating a cupcake in my pjs=)

After our rousing 2 hour scavenger hunt, we ended the day with an intro to our new workbox system we're trying out this year, a bit of journaling, and chores.  Today was onto a bit more serious school work and tomorrow the fun REALLY begins as we add in a few more subjects to our regular day than the boys have ever had to do.  We'll see how it goes!

When you get there, be sure to let me know how YOUR "first" day of school goes for this year!  (Even if it just includes having to get them dressed at an insanely early hour and sendin' 'em off to school on a bus!  Even those mornings can be crazy!)

4 comments:

Teresa,  August 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM  

Ok - i will leave a message as this is my very first time with what is called a blog. miss you guys - T and family

Anonymous,  August 2, 2011 at 10:43 PM  

:-) sounds like a perfectly successful, fun day! <3 steph

emily August 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM  

This post inspires me. Truly. And leaves me very curious... WHO/WHAT is the newest member of your family??? Are you getting a DOG?? And I need to check out all those links. Fun. Fun. Oh, and are you going to use "code names" for your kids? If so, I will have to learn them:)

Jennifer March 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM  

I'm waiting for AAS curriculum update!

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave me a Message!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP