Powered by Blogger.

Let's "Git R Done"

>> 9.13.2011

This saying, "Git r done" (say with a strong southern accent) is a bit old now (Can you imagine?! We call 5 years ago something "old"?!) but still sums up how we as (Northern) Americans often times approach life. We are in such a hurry to fix all things and change them all to how we see fit and AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! This can cause much conflict/frustration in ministry because ministry is defined by working with...well, PEOPLE! And people (and programs) "change" and are "fixed" slowly. It's so easy to stand by and judge what needs changing in someone (or something, if it's a program) and forget to even consult with their Maker-- the Lord.

Most people start into ministry because they love the Lord and want to see others grow in their love for Him. (There are exceptions, I know. We're not talking about them today=) Just like a student fresh outta high school, we think we're going to some how "do great things for God." We're all good-hearted in this adventure and we mean so very well, but we loose sight of the fact that God has called us to live in a sin-filled world shining His love to all and telling people of His offer of forgiveness if they repent and believe. Oh-- and do so unaffected by that sin-filled world. Simple, right?! HA! NEVER! In our eagerness, we boldly plow into a new ministry and start the mental list of all that needs to "go" or "stay" or "change". And, in all honesty, it is usually easier to see necessary changes from a more outsider's perspective than once we've been on the "inside" for awhile when we, too, have gotten used to "the way things are." BUT, we must be careful to asses our motives and approaches honestly before the Lord. We must bring ALL THINGS before Him and offer them up with surrender asking Him for clear guidance as to what to do about either the person in question or the ministry in question. When He clearly guides us, then we may act, and not a moment sooner. He is so much more wise than we'll ever be (or even know we need to be), and He's so much more patient than we are. His timing truly is perfect. (And so is His strength while we wait, right?)

Isaiah 55: 6,8,9 "See the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your way my way, declares the Lord. For as the heaven are higher than the earth, so are my ways, higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (ESV)

Before I go, I wanted to get back to one more thought I brought up just a minute ago. The concept of "doing great things for God"; it's a good concept, but a bit faulty. I understand the idea behind the words, but the words demonstrate a self-centeredness and a self-reliance that is completely incorrect in God's economy. It is only through Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit that we, as finite human beings, can affect anyone or anything for good. For our own hearts, at their very core, are filled with sin and "desperately sick." (Jer. 17:9 ESV) If you want to be used mightily by God, then you will have to follow a road of complete reliance upon Christ. I know I am terribly far from this and I am just at the beginning of a journey of surrenderedness in all areas...I'm pretty sure this is going to be a life-long journey, but I hope there are many others who are starting theirs as well and we can trust that God will provide and send to us those that are further along this same journey to encourage us along our way.


Let's get a fresh start "done" and let the Lord renew our spirits. If anything needs "gittin' done," that's certainly a good place to start.


The Promise of a Fresh Start:
Psalm 51: 10 "Create in me a clean heart, oh God. And renew a right spirit within me."
Matthew 5:8 "Blessed are the pure in hearts, for they shall see God."


Thank you, Lord, for cleaning my heart and being patient with me. Help me to extend that same grace and forgiveness to those in my life to whom I have not been merciful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave me a Message!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP