Powered by Blogger.

Comments on Comfort

>> 4.23.2013

Just some thoughts that have been swirling through my mind.

We all love comfort.  I think it must be built into the heart of every human to love to be safe, secure, and feeling like all is well-- in one word this is "comfort," right?  When things are out of place, have gone awry, or are unfamiliar to us, we inevitably feel "uncomfortable."  And that can cause a complete domino collapse-- I feel uncomfortable so I:

GET ANGRY                     get irritable                         quit & give up      RUN
  hide            shut down                         walk away         EAT     drink           dive into another project  (dive into another relationship)        spend money          go on a trip  

go to the movies                  get my nails done                         read a book            
              
         go onto Facebook      play computer games          
                                                       WORK OUT EXCESSIVELY

Heaven's knows I could go on and on.  What we DO when we are uncomfortable says a lot about us.  Where we turn is a clear picture of the things we find most comfort in-- our security, our value, our treasure. 

God has a lot to say about this.  All throughout scripture He tells us to "have courage" and to "rest in Him."  He called himself our "Peace".  He said He came so that we might have "abundant life"...and yet I'd venture to say that most of us don't feel like we have abundant life.  No, most of us settle for getting through life.  Or, we strive for worldly comforts hoping they will get us comfortable enough that one day we'll be able to be so comfortable we can finally escape the feeling of being uncomfortable.  Trouble is, the more we chase all these ways of making ourselves more comfortable, the more uncomfortable (unsatisfied) we become.  In vain we turn to the things listed above, or something I didn't list above and we look just like our unbelieving neighbors.  People aren't attracted to God because those who claim to "know Him" and "love Him" are nothing like Him and don't seek after the things He calls valuable.  We aren't attracting people to God because our lives AREN'T ATTRACTIVE.  If they were, our church doors would be flooded by people who want what we have.  But, as I watch, in general, no one wants what we have because we don't live like we have anything different than they already have-- weight issues, marriage issues, kid issues, anger issues, spending issues, etc. 

And I don't want to be like that.  And I don't think in your very heart of hearts you do either.  So, where does this leave us?  I read a statement lately that said "Everyone wants a movement, but no one wants to move."  This is the problem.  We don't want to move because we're COMFORTABLE and being uncomfortable is...well, uncomfortable, right? 

To start we MUST begin on our knees where all great beginnings start.  After all, "The fear of the Lord is the BEGINNING of wisdom."  And that's just our beginning place.  We start on our knees and in the Word and we LISTEN.  Listen for HIS calling on our lives.  We read all about HIS HEART in His Word and we can't miss some clear callings.  I could easily list some of those values of God's here today...but I'm not going to.  If you want to know God's heart, YOU must seek it.  I can not seek it for you.  I can not answer His call on YOUR life for you-- I'm too concerned with answering that for me.  But you must start.  You can not run, hide, eat, shop, etc. your way out of it-- or you'll continue to live on in your pseudo-comfort.  The only TRUE comfort, peace, and security, is found in FOLLOWING HIM; the God of the heaven Who created you uniquely to answer His unique call on your life. (Eph. 2:10)

What are you chasing after today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave me a Message!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP