Powered by Blogger.

Psalm 73: 16-28 -- A RIGHT Perspective for Self

>> 7.28.2011

When we last studied this passage a couple days ago, we left Asaph (and myself) in a quandry over why it seems like the “evil ones” are the ones who always prosper and why it seems like those of us who are living trying to please God are always getting…shafted – or so we think.  Let’s pick it up in very 16: (using the NIV today—I’m not picky, it’s what’s in front of me. And, as always, italics are added by me!=)


16) When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me until I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.


How do we get perspective?  WE GET IN THE WORD!  We enter into God’s sanctuary and commune with Him.  Only in the presence of God’s RIGHT, TRUE, FAITHFUL Words can we see reality!  Here’s what Asaph found was reality: (v.18-22)

“Surely you place [the evil ones] on slippery ground; you case them down to ruin.  How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors.  As a dream when one awakes, so when you arise, O Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.  When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you.”

I was studying in James earlier this week  and found something I’d never seen before (gotta LOVE the LIVING and ACTIVE Word!).  Verses 14-16 (Proceed with Caution, these are strong words.)

“But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.  Such ‘wisdom’ does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil.  For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.”

WHEW!  This is NOT how I want to be characterized or found before the Lord.  So I confess this sin of envy and ask the Lord to make my heart new again (which He gladly does) and thank Him for his gift of the sacrificially death His Son gave for ME!  For YOU!  And then I am free to do what Asaph did next:  he WORSHIPPED God.  It’s the only right response we can have when brought to the Light of His Word.  Let’s finish out today reading the last of Psalm 73, starting in verse 23.  Here are the truths we can rest in:

“Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heave but you?  And earth has NOTHING I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to You.  But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.”

 When we take up our right place in the refuge of the Lord, no matter what is happening around us, we will be able to have peace and rest in Him and that will lead us to TELL OTHERS ABOUT CHRIST.  Where are you today?  Outside of His Word and lacking perspective or are you IN HIS WORD gaining perspective, worshipping Him, and telling others about what He’s teaching you?

Just something to “consider”…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think. Leave me a Message!

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP